From the rise of television to the current Internet era, celebrities are closer to their fans than ever before, both professionally and in everyday situations. These days, it is very common to see famous people who smoke, although everyone has their own preferences.
Of course, there are those who love cigarettes. There are those who prefer to appear with an impressive cigar, and then there are those who prefer to roll them! They even buy rolling papers and filters. It’s a matter of taste.
Here we take a look at some of the most famous smokers, some of them sportsmen, incredible though it may seem! And also former smokers who decided to quit, although they have not always confessed how or why.
Who are the famous icons who smoke?
Some of the biggest celebrities who smoke or used to smoke, each one an icon in their field, are the following:
- Snoop Dogg: it is inevitable to talk about the famous rapper and actor, a stoner and an expert with rolling paper.
- Sigourney Weaver: the popular actress has proven to be one of the celebrities who smoke a lot, on and off screen.
- Winston Churchill: Britain’s prime minister was a cigar devotee and there are few images of him not smoking.
- Freud: The father of psychoanalysis enjoyed smoking during his incessant working hours.
- Jack Nicholson: The famous retired actor was seen at many public events, always showing his fondness for smoking.
- Rihanna: The singer has become an icon of today’s music scene, but she is also a heavy smoker and is one of those who also chooses to roll them on paper.
Famous people who smoke today
If we look at the celebrities who are currently making headlines and who have not given up smoking, we have to focus mainly on actors:
- Johnny Depp: The most well-known pirate on the big screen is also one of the celebrities who smoke, always with its characteristic style.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger: Former governor of California, renowned actor, enviable bodybuilder and also a heavy smoker, with a preference for cigars.
- Sean Penn: The actor admitted quitting a long time ago, but, on many occasions, he has been seen smoking in public.
- Leonardo Dicaprio: One of today’s most iconic movie stars is also a heavy smoker.
- Scarlett Johanson: The most famous avenger doesn’t say no to a good cigarette, in fact, she is one of the actresses who appears more often smoking in her films.
Sportsmen who smoked
Apart from being the seventh art, sport has also had stars who have admitted to smoking to their fans, something that has not prevented them from achieving great success, each in their own discipline:
- Tom Brady: Known as one of the best players in the history of the NFL, he was also seen smoking in public in 2009, provoking a great controversy with his team.
- Michael Jordan: The king of the NBA has been a frequent smoker since he started playing. He says that it relaxed him before every game.
- Ronaldinho: The Brazilian football player used to smoke after every match, although it is said that he only did it when the match had gone well.
- Zidane: A non-social smoker, something very curious, as he prefers to enjoy it mostly in private.
- Di Stefano: A sportsman with a unique style, both with the ball and with his cigarettes, which he often promoted. He was one of the most famous Spanish (although born in Argentina) professional football smokers.
Celebrities who have quit smoking
Not everyone keeps up their smoking habit. These are the celebrities who confirm that they have quit:
- Lady Gaga: The singer doesn’t go in for half measures, she tends more towards the extreme. That’s why she went from 40 cigarettes a day to quitting altogether.
- Charlie Sheen: He didn’t say how he stopped being one of the celebrities who smoke, but he did admit it on his Twitter account. About the rest of his habits, he has not said anything, so far.
- Adele: In her amazing physical transformation, the singer also quit smoking. She did it through hypnosis.
- Jennifer Aniston: Many people say that yoga changes their lives. In fact, she says so too and among those changes was quitting smoking.
- Barack Obama: he former US president wanted to prove to his family that he could quit smoking. He says he did it with nicotine gum.