CBDA is the representation of the concept of cannabidiolic acid. It consists of a cannabinoid, that is, a cannabis compound that interacts with the body and generates certain effects.
CBDA is one of the 3 compounds in which CBD is transformed in synthesis, along with THCA (tetrahydrocannbinolic acid) and CBCA (cannabicrometric acid).
Currently you can find products in Europe and the United States that have this compound since, as with CBD or with all the paraphernalia for marijuana, it is completely legal. It has no restrictions on its commercialization as they do link them to the psychotropic cannabinoid THC.
CBDA vs CBD
CBDA is actually a precursor cannabinoid to CBD, but their differences are numerous. These are the most important:
- CBDA can only be obtained in large quantities from the plant raw material, but CBD is created naturally by CBDA decarboxylation (removal of CO2).
- That is to say that it is easier to obtain CBD and there are more products on the market that contain it, because it is more complicated to isolate significant levels of CBDA.
- In fact, CBD is available in a wide assortment of commercial options, while CBDA is usually found primarily in capsules or oils.
- It also means that CBDA is considered a purer or “raw” version of CBD itself.
- Based on the chemical point of view, CBD is a more stable compound and, therefore, CBD products maintain their quality levels for longer, compared to the faster deterioration of CBDA.
- In principle, both CBDA and CBD offer therapeutic benefits. However, research has focused on the latter compound and CBDA only preliminary research exists.
What effects does CBDA have?
Since CBDA has been the subject of less scientific research, there is still much to discover regarding the effects and benefits of CBDA.
It is initially suggested that CBDA can bind to several receptors in the body, specifically those for serotonin 5-HT1A at levels up to 100 times higher than CBD. These receptors are related to a person’s memory, sleep, digestion, and mood, among other feelings and abilities.
That is, CBDA is related to effects similar to those of CBD, in the sense that it can offer calm and relief.
In fact, among its most important effects could be highlighted the possibility of modulating certain moods. The theory posits that, given these effects with serotonin and mood, it could serve in the treatment of depression.
In addition, the help that CBDA may offer in relation to cancer cells is investigated, since initial research seems to link both things for a possible treatment, but the scientific community agrees that more evidence is needed.
The effects of CBDA have also been linked to the treatment of nausea and inflammation, especially those produced after an injury.